Friday, January 27, 2012

Julian Smith made this for you. Watch it.

Here is the genius of Julian Smith: everyone in my family loves him. I have six opinionated siblings ranging in ages from 26 to 16 and two persnickety parents in their 50s. We can't agree on anything. But when I go home for holidays, we quote Julian Smith videos in our ordinary speech.

Julian is more than an Internet novelty. He is not Rebecca Black. His videos are short, but they have high production value, surprise endings, and they are funny. The music is great, the acting is decent, and the comedic timing is impeccable. Not every one of his videos is equally funny or equally good. But most of them are excellent.

Obviously, I'm not the first person to discovery him. His video Malk has almost 13 million views, Wikipedia lists him as a YouTube celebrity, and claims that he has been featured on funnyordie.com and the Tyra Banks Show.

You might be saying to yourself, "I have a job. I don't have time to watch YouTube videos even if they are funny." Well, you are lying. If YouTube's statistics are true, chances are that you are already watching YouTube videos regularly. Stop kidding yourself. I know you love watching cats playing and of your favorite band's music videos. But trust me. You should watch this video. If you don't like it, there will still be plenty of time to watch the sequel to "Friday."

4 comments:

  1. Little Josh. I'm pretty sure mom and dad would not like to see themselves described as persnickety. Also, I'm sure Julian Smith thanks you for furthering his career. I know I preach the gospel of Julian Smith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am kind of an evangelist aren't I? Spreading the gospel of Julian.

      Delete
    2. Dearest Josh,
      It's hard to believe that everybody in your family agrees on anything. I'm a big Julian Smith follower, and I'm touched that you would take the time to blog about him. I'm sure Jeffrey Dallas appreciates it too. Now about your "persnickety parents in their 50's"....Persnickety is pretty cool, but what do you think referring to your mother as in the age group of 40-50...no make that 20-50? Just a thought. I just took a phone survey yesterday and at the end I had the choice of age 40-50 or age 50-60. Guess which one I chose?

      P.S. I couldn't resist the opportunity to click on the video and watch it again. I love how sticky the waffles are :)

      Delete
    3. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm not sure my journalistic integrity will allow me to modify your age range, but I'll consider it. Thanks for reading.

      Delete